Kii THREE Active Speakers
Kii THREE Active Speakers
The Kii THREE is an innovative new active speaker which rewrites the rulebook for small room-friendly speakers. Each speaker employs six drivers, six amplifiers, six digital to analogue converters and Kii's own unique digital signal processing to generate a beam of sound directed at the listening position.
Conventional speakers radiate sound in all directions. The lower the frequency, the more omnidirectional the dispersion pattern becomes. This unwanted sound energy excites room modes and leads to standing waves which create peaks and nulls in the frequency response. Depending on the size and shape of the room, this manifests itself as excessive bass, a lack of bass or a characterless one note bass. Early reflections from the front and side walls, floor and ceiling muddy imaging and smear detail.
By directing sound only where it is wanted, Kii has managed to sidestep many of the worst acoustic effects of untreated listening rooms. They did not stop there though. The DSP engine inside each Kii THREE speaker is also use to calibrate out variances between individual drivers and to time align all of the drivers to create a virtual point source. The result is a speaker with pin point imaging and a ruler flat 20Hz to 25kHz +/-0.5dB frequency response. No other speaker on the market today, regardless of price or size, offers this level of precision over such a wide frequency range.
The clarity and detail, the impressive time coherence and most importantly the handling of the room acoustics let the listener dive right into the magical experience of a great record, more so than even the best conventional setups are able to. All the innovations inside this speaker serve one single purpose - to be more truthful to the music!
Please take a look at our blog for our listening notes and an example of how to connect up the Kii THREE and Kii CONTROL to a mixture of analogue and digital sources. To really appreciate what the Kii THREE can do though, you have to hear them for yourself. Please contact us to book a demonstration.
- Kalman Rubinson and John Atkinson for Stereophile
- Andy Hong for TapeOp
- Peter Familari for StereoNET
- Phil Ward for Sound on Sound
- Jan Didden and Paul Wilke for audioXpress
- Fritz Fey for Studio Magazin
- Srajan Ebaen for Six Moons
- Bob Macc
- John Darko for Digital Audio Review
- Compact DSP controlled monitor speaker
- 4 x 6.5" woofer, 1 x 5" midrange, 1" waveguided tweeter, all individually driven
- Amplification: 6 x 250W full custom Ncore
- Active Wave Focusing crossover filter
- Frequency response: 20Hz-25kHz +/- 0.5dB
- Phase response: minimum (best possible time coherence).
- Long term SPL: 105dB
- Short term SPL: 110dB
- Peak SPL: 115dB
- Controlled Directivity: 4.8dB (80Hz - 1kHz, slowly rising thereafter)
- Size: 20x40x40cm, 8"x16"x16" (WxHxD)
- Weight: 15kg (33lbs)
- Inputs: Analogue, AES/EBU
- Selectable correction for free-standing, near wall or in corner